At least four people have been found dead while nine others were injured in the rubble of a collapsed South Florida pedestrian bridge where the frantic search for any survivors continued past nightfall, said Florida officials on Thursday.
Fire Chief Dave Downey said the injured were removed “early on” and taken to hospitals but didn’t elaborate on their conditions.
Downey said “search and rescue mode” deploying trained canines, search cameras, and sensitive listening devices were continuing into the night.
Governor Rick Scott said, “Everybody is working hard to make sure we rescue anyone who can be rescued.”
Scott said an investigation will be done to know “why this happened and what happened”.
He vowed anyone who did anything wrong would be held accountable.
The bridge was under construction and collapsed onto a busy Miami highway, crushing at least eight vehicles under massive slabs of concrete and steel.
One side of the bridge led to Florida International University, a school west of the city’s downtown.
The 950-ton bridge had been assembled by the side of the highway and moved into place Saturday to great fanfare.
National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Robert Sumwalt III said a team of specialists headed to Miami on Thursday night to begin investigation Friday morning.
Miami-Dade Police Director Juan Perez said his department’s homicide team would take over the investigation after rescue efforts are complete.
The exact death toll was unclear. Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Alejandro Camacho told CBS News that there were “several fatalities”.