Home National China gives clear message after satellite pics: will build Doklam infrastructure

China gives clear message after satellite pics: will build Doklam infrastructure

454
0
SHARE

(G.N.S) Dt. 19

Beijing

China today justified its construction activities in Doklam as “legitimate” and said that India has no business to comment on what it does on its territory. Satellite images revealed a full-fledged Chinese military complex being built within Doklam, but India maintained that status quo has not been altered in Doklam, where Indian and Chinese troops were locked in a stand-off for over two months last year.

“Our attention has been drawn to some reports that question the accuracy of the position stated by the government in respect to the situation in Doklam,” Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said.

Almost five months after India and China ended a 70-day standoff in Doklam or Doka La that lies to the east of Sikkim, the latest images show massive structures in Doklam, as close as 81 metres to the point of face-off between Indian and Chinese troops.

“I don’t know who offers such kind of photos. I don’t know the detailed information,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said, according to news agency IANS.

Indian soldiers had stopped the Chinese army from constructing a new road in the remote Doklam in mid-June, saying it would give China access to a strategically crucial narrow strip of land or “Chicken’s Neck” that links it to its northeastern states.

China had retaliated, insisting that it has every right to build roads on its territory, but later the two countries agreed to “disengage” their troops in late August, just ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to China for the high-profile BRICS summit.

News reports, however, suggested that China continued to build extensive Chinese infrastructure in the tiny Doklam Plateau.

“You must be quite clear. Donglong (Doklam) always belonged to China and is always under China’s effective jurisdiction. There is no dispute in this regard,” Lu said.

He added, “China is exercising its sovereignty in its own territory. It’s legitimate and justified. Just as China will not make comments about Indian construction of infrastructure on India’s territory, we hope other countries will not make comment on China’s construction of infrastructure on its territory.”

However, the army, which is aware of China’s expansion activities in the region post-Doklam standoff, doesn’t see this as “serious trouble”. The forces are prepared for any exigency, army chief General Bipin Rawat said.

“They have carried out some infrastructure development, most of it is temporary in nature. But while their troops may have returned and the infrastructure remains, it is any body’s guess whether they would come back there, or it is because of the winter they could not take their equipment away,” General Rawat said.

In case they come back, we will face them, he added.

China is within its right to build infrastructure at Doklam, says Foreign Ministry spokesperson

The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday said that it was entitled to build infrastructure in Doklam, but refused to comment on the news reports that used satellite pictures to claim that Beijing was building a military complex at the site, media reported.

“China is exercising its sovereignty in its own territory,” the ministry’s Spokesperson, Lu Kang (pictured above), said. “It is legitimate and justified. Just as China will not make comments about Indian construction of infrastructure on India’s territory, we hope other countries will not make comment on China’s construction of infrastructure on its territory.”

Donglong, as Doklam is called by the Chinese, “is always under China’s effective jurisdiction”, Lu added. The country is building infrastructure for its troops and the people living in the area, PTI quoted him as saying.

China’s comments come a day after the Ministry of External Affairs dismissed as inaccurate the reports about Chinese military buildup at the site. “The government once again reiterates that the status quo at the face-off site has not been altered,” Spokesperson Raveesh Kumar had said.

China on Friday justified its massive construction activities in the Dokalam area, describing it as “legitimate” and aimed at improving the lives of its troops and the people living on its own territory.

China’s reaction came amid reports that it was building a huge military complex close to the site of the Doklam standoff with India.

Asked about reports citing satellite imagery of a Chinese military complex in the area, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said: “I have also noted the relevant report. I don’t know who offered such kind of photos.” He also said he did not have detailed information on it.

The reports raised concerns that the China may be preparing for another standoff with India.

Mr. Lu, however, said: “China’s position on the Donglong (Doklam) area is quite clear. Donglong always belonged to China and always under China’s effective jurisdiction. There is no dispute in this regard,” he said asserting Chinese sovereignty over the area which is also claimed by Bhutan.

He said China is building infrastructure for its troops and the people living in the area.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here