Home States Delhi 4 security personnel killed in gunfight between security forces-terrorists in J&K

4 security personnel killed in gunfight between security forces-terrorists in J&K


(G.N.S) Dt. 21
Two policemen and two army soldiers were killed in encounter with militants continuing since the day before in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district on Wednesday. Security forces killed at least four militants on Tuesday.
A police spokesperson identified the slain policemen as special police officer (SPO) Mohammad Yousf, of Kachama village of Kupwara, and selection grade constable Deepak Thesoo, of Nagrota of Jammu region.
Fresh firing was reported between the security forces and a group of terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kupwara district, a day after four terrorists were killed in a gunbattle in the area. Two policemen lost their lives and another was injured in the gunfight. The wounded personnel is undergoing treatment at a hospital. His condition is stated to be stable, a police spokesperson said.
An encounter broke out in the Arampora area of the district on Tuesday after security forces launched an operation in the wake of militants opening fire at an Army patrol party.
The spokesperson said the anti-terrorist operation, which continued overnight, was going on when reports last came in.
A Srinagar-based army spokesperson confirmed the death of two soldiers in the encounter. Details are awaited from the army regarding the identification of the soldiers.
According to the army, the gun battle began after the militants fired at a military patrol in the Arampura-Halmatpura area of the frontier district, about 110km from Srinagar.
“Our troops acted swiftly, and contact was established around 3.30pm,” said an army officer, asking not be identified.
Four unidentified militants were killed in the operation on Tuesday.
A massive search operation was also launched in Kupwara’s Halmatpora after the encounter. Security forces launched a “cordon-and-search operation” in the forests in the area on Tuesday afternoon following specific inputs that militants were hiding there.
According to a police spokesman, contingents of army and police cordoned off the area and shot dead about four militants.
Reinforcements were called in as the overnight operation is continuing, with more militants holed up there. A senior district police officer, who doesn’t want to be named, said the exact toll is difficult to ascertain as the bodies of the slain militants are yet to be recovered.
Meanwhile, a policeman was also injured in the fresh exchange of fire between terrorists and security forces in Kupwara, ANI reported.
“In the fresh exchange of fire, one policeman has been injured. He is stated to be stable and being treated at a hospital,” a J&K Police spokesman said.
He said the overnight operation was underway when the last reports came in.
The encounter broke out in Arampora area of the district yesterday after security forces launched an operation in the wake of some terrorists opening firing on an Army patrol party.
The soldiers reacted swiftly and launched the operation to track down the terrorists, an army official had said.
Four terrorists were killed in the operation yesterday.
This is second such gunfight in a week after three militants were killed on the outskirts of Srinagar on March 15 and 16. Two of the militants — Rasiq Nabi Bhat of Tral and Shabir Dar of Awantipora — were Kashmiris and the third was said to be from Pakistan.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here